CONTACT: Don Feldstein or
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 26, 2015
UUP TV/print ads say Gov. Cuomo’s plans for SUNY are ‘wrong’ for students, public higher ed
ALBANY – Students from the State University of New York challenge Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s misguided Executive Budget proposals for SUNY and tell him to “do the right thing” for students and the public university system in a new television ad produced by United University Professions.
In the 30-second ad, the students say the governor’s plans for SUNY are “wrong.” The ad, to air in Albany, Buffalo, Long Island and Syracuse starting today (Thursday, Feb. 26), calls on legislators to reject the governor’s $1.3 million cut to SUNY’s opportunity programs and his proposed threats to teacher preparation programs.
It also asks viewers to call a toll-free number—(888) 438-3921—and tell their elected state officials to increase state aid to SUNY. Students cover 63 percent of SUNY’s operating costs through tuition and fees; the state pays the remainder, 37 percent. The average SUNY student graduates with $22,500 in debt. In New York, more than 2.8 million people are struggling to pay off more than $73 billion in student loans.
“The governor’s plans for SUNY are wrong for students, wrong for SUNY and wrong for New York,” said UUP President Frederick E. Kowal, Ph.D. “His proposals to target teacher education programs for closure, invoke a performance-based funding scheme and cut $1.3 million from SUNY’s opportunity programs are totally unacceptable.”
The TV ad, part of the union’s two-week media blitz, will also air March 2-March 11. The ad will air in New York City March 9-11. Five of the six people in the ad are SUNY students; one is a recent SUNY graduate.
SUNY students will also appear in a half-page companion print ad to run in more than 150 weekly newspapers and several daily papers during the week of March 2 in areas near SUNY campuses.
UUP is the nation's largest higher education union, with more than 42,000 academic and professional faculty and retirees. UUP members work at 29 New York state-operated campuses, including SUNY’s public teaching hospitals and health science centers in Brooklyn, Long Island and Syracuse. It is an affiliate of NYSUT, the American Federation of Teachers, the National Education Association, and the AFL-CIO.
Welcome/Join | Officers | Executive Board | Chapters | Administrative Staff | Labor Relations Staff | Constitution | History |
Benefit Trust Fund Booklet | Forms | Information| Other Links | NYS Benefits | Voluntary Programs | Special Offers | Retirement | FAQs |
Contract and Contract Updates | Contract Negotiations | Patents, Inventions & Copyright Policy Portal | SUNY BOT Policies |
Advocacy Calendar | FAQs | Links | Political Action | Constitutional Convention | NYSUT's Political Action | Testimony | Take Action! |
Webmail Access | UUP LeaderNet | Scholarships | UUP Archives | UUP Job Board | UUP LEAD Institute | Chapter Action Project |
Press Releases | UUP in the News | The Voice | Ad Campaigns | Letters to the Editor | Commentaries | UUPdate | Defending Our Union |