I want to share with you the complete text of a message from NYSUT Executive VP Andy Palotta concerning tomorrow’s election. Please take a moment to read it….and don’t forget to VOTE! If you need to find your polling place, look here: https://voterlookup.elections.state.ny.us/votersearch.aspx.
The most critical election in a generation is tomorrow!
This congressional election will determine if we continue to move America forward, or we move backward. Go to the polls next Tuesday (November 2) and vote. NYSUT-endorsed candidates (http://www.nysut.org/mediareleases_15488.htm) in Congress need our votes more than ever as they fight to repair a decade of damage caused by the Bush administration. We must continue the economic recovery policies begun last year, which will stimulate the economy through public investment in education, job creation and a sustainable economy that strengthens our country and middle-class families for the long term.
If Republican leaders take control of Congress in 2011, U.S. Rep. John Boehner of Ohio would be the new House Speaker. He has proposed a damaging economic plan that would rely on the very same failed policies that led to the current economic crisis.
The Boehner plan would cut $100 billion from discretionary programs, such as education, the environment, food safety and homeland security, and would substantially increase the national debt.
The Boehner plan includes:
• a 20 percent - $8 billion - cut in federal aid to education, including IDEA and Title I funding;
• the elimination of access to the Head Start programs for approximately 200,000 children;
• the repeal of landmark student loan reform, slashing college aid for a staggering eight million students, making college more expensive and difficult to pursue, loans harder to repay, and adding $60 billion to the national debt; and
• borrowing $700 billion to continue the Bush administration's enormous tax breaks for the very wealthy, while adding trillions of dollars to the deficit.
Don't Believe the Negative Political Spin
House Democrats stabilized the financial system and helped to prevent a second Great Depression. A failing economy that was losing 700,000 jobs a month is now gaining jobs. In addition to lessening the economic crisis,the federal stimulus package saved 3 million jobs. The current Congress has been the most effective, productive, pro-worker, pro-family and pro-union since 1964. We still have a long way to go, but we are now moving forward. It is crucial to vote on November 2nd and support those members of Congress who have started us on the road to recovery.
What will you do over the next several days to take us over the finish line?
1. Check NYSUT's endorsements (http://www.nysut.org/mediareleases_15488.htm) for candidates in your district.
2. Find your voting location
https://voterlookup.elections.state.ny.us/votersearch.aspx and put Election Day, Tuesday, November 2 on your calendar.
3. Talk to your friends and family and ask them to vote on Tuesday, November 2 for pro-public education candidates. Ask them to do it for you. Don't take anyone for granted. Every vote counts.
The most critical election in a generation is only days away. Who do you want representing YOU in Albany and Washington?
Executive Vice President