- A voice in how the union is run. Members choose the issues the union supports, including advocating for social justice issues such as civil and voting rights, and health care; better pay and job protections for adjuncts; and pushing for more funding for SUNY and improving the quality of education for SUNY students. It's an opportunity to work with a dynamic, committed organiztion that believes in diversity, equality, access, openeness, and providing working families with jobs that offer a living wage and dignity in retirement.
- A say in shaping legislative and public policy. State lawmakers listen when UUP members speak out for legislation and policies that bolster SUNY and impact our members. You can also take part in local, statewide and national campaigns as an activist, helping to elect quality candidates that support working families and favor public higher education.
- Be a part of a powerful force for positive change. UUP members are good neighbors and community members. Our members volunteer to work in church kitchens, take part in walks to defeat breast cancer, and get involved with community food drives, disaster relief efforts, and buying holiday presents for those in need.
- The right to attend union meetings, hold union office, and to elect union leaders on campus and representatives at the state and national levels.
- Access to professional development. Through grants funded by dollars negotiated by the union, support is available through the New York State/UUP Joint Labor-Management Committees to fund research costs, chapter-level conferences and professional development. UUP members have many options to choose from.
- Financial savings. UUP members can take advantage of a number of discounted services provided through NYSUT and AFT member benefits, and discounts negotiated by UUP. They include reductions on car and homeowners insurance, car rentals, legal and financial services, travel and more. UUP offers discounts with companies such as Apple, Hewlett Packard, BJ's Wholesale Club, Liberty Mutual and Verizon Wireless.
Step 1: EligibilityTo join UUP, you must be a State University of New York employee and belong to the Professional Services Negotiating Unit (PSNU, also called the 08 Bargaining Unit).
Step 2: Sign the card!Click here to sign up online.
Or, download and print a UUP membership card.
Fill it out and mail it to: United University Professions, P.O. Box 15143, Albany, NY 12112-5143.
You can also go to your chapter office and ask for a card to sign. Click here for contact information for your chapter.
Or just seek out a chapter member and tell her/him that you want to be a UUP member. They will help you get where you need to go.
How do I join UUP?
The power of UUP rests in the unity of its members. It's all of us, together.
We can create positive change by working together in solidarity. Through the union, we can effectively protect our hard-fought gains, maintain workplace safety, and be a strong presence voice for our students, for SUNY, and for our members.
When you sign your UUP union card, you become part of a powerful collective of more than 40,000 members. With your support, and the support of tens of thousands of your SUNY colleagues, your union is a loud, unified voice for better pay, better benefits, safer working conditions, and a well-earned retirement. The union's collective bargaining power allows it to negotiatiate with the state on your behalf. This basic right levels the playing field; you have a voice when it comes to negotiating for salary increases, benefits and job security, instead of settling for what the employer is willing to give.
There is strength in numbers. And there is strength in being in a union.
On average, unionized workers' wages are 27 percent higher than their nonunion counterparts, according to the AFL-CIO. Unionized workers are 60 percent more likely to have employer-provided pensions, and more than 79 percent of union workers have jobs with health insurance benefits. Unions also provide job protections and security, and give workers a say in improving their jobs.
This is your union. As a UUP member, you have the opportunity to shape its future, and help it accomplish initiatives that will benefit SUNY students, SUNY, and UUP members.
UUP members enjoy the benefits, rights, and protections of the bargained contract, plus:
How do I become a UUP member?It's easy. Just follow the steps below:
Does it cost more to become a UUP member?
No. All Professional Services Negotiating Unit members pay an agency fee equal to union dues, whether or not they join the union. Signing a UUP union card will not increase or change the union deduction from your paycheck.
For more information, please contact UUP at 1-800-342-4206.
Defending Our Union!Defend Our Union!
Join UUP! Sign up now!
Defend Our Union: Video
Defend Our Union: Social Media resources
Why Be UUP?The Benefits of Being UUP
UUP's Negotiated Gains
UUP's Legislative Successes
Negotiated Gains for
The Truth about Friedrichs
Benefits of UUP Membership in Retirement
UUP: An Outspoken Advocate for SUNY Funding
Why Join a Union?Top 7 Reasons to Join a Union
The Union Difference: Union Advantage by the Numbers
2014 Union Statistics - Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor