- A voice in how the union is run. Members decide the issues the union supports, including better pay and job protections for adjuncts, pushing for more funding for SUNY and improving the quality of education for SUNY students.
- A say in shaping legislative and public policy. With more than 36,000 members, UUP carries weight when it comes to advocating for legislation and policies that help our students, our University and our members. You can also take part in local, statewide and national campaigns as an activist, helping to elect quality candidates who support working families.
- You get to be a part of a movement for positive, progressive change. It's an opportunity to work with a dynamic, committed organiztion for initiatives such as a free public higher education for all, and providing working families with jobs that offer a living wage and dignity.
- Be a part of a powerful force for good. UUP members are good neighbors and community members. Our members volunteer to work in church kitchens, and take part in walks to defeat breast cancer, community food drives and disaster relief efforts. It's an opportunity to join your sisters and brothers in a union dedicated to social justice issues.
- The right to attend union meetings, hold union office, and to elect union leaders on campus and representatives at the state and national levels.
- Access to professional development. From grants funded through money the union negotiates, support is available through the New York State/UUP Joint Labor-Management Committee to fund research costs, chapter-level conferences and professional development. UUP members have many options to choose from.
- Financial savings. UUP members can take advantage of discounted services provided through NYSUT and AFT member benefits, and discounts negotiated by UUP. They include discounts on car and homeowners insurance, car rentals, legal and financial services, travel and more. UUP offers discounts with companies such as Apple, Hewlett Packard, BJís Wholesale Club, Liberty Mutual and Verizon Wireless.
Step 1: EligibilityTo join UUP, you must be a State University of New York employee and belong to the Professional Services Negotiating Unit (PSNU, also called the 08 Bargaining Unit).
Step 2: Sign the card!Click here to sign up online.
Or, download and print a UUP membership card.
Fill it out and mail it to: United University Professions, P.O. Box 15143, Albany, NY 12112-5143.
You can also go to your chapter office and ask for a card to sign. Click here for contact information for your chapter.
Or just seek out a chapter member and tell her/him that you want to be a UUP member.
How do I join UUP?
What do you get by signing a UUP union card and becoming a member of UUP?
A whole lot.
You get the strength of more than 36,000 members, who speak out in a strong, unified voice for better pay, benefits and working conditions. You benefit from the union's collective bargaining power to negotiate with the state on your behalf. This basic right levels the playing field; you can negotiate for salary increases, benefits and job security instead of settling for what the employer is willing to give.
The saying is true: there is strength in numbers.
On average, unionized workersí wages are 27 percent higher than their nonunion counterparts, according to the AFL-CIO. Unionized workers are 60 percent more likely to have employer-provided pensions, and more than 79 percent of union workers have jobs with health insurance benefits. Unions also provide job protections and security, and give workers a say in improving their jobs.
Members get more
In UUP, members enjoy the benefits, rights, and protections of the bargained contract, plus:
How do I become a UUP member?It's easy. Just follow the steps below:
Does it cost more in dues to become a UUP member?
No. All Professional Services Negotiating Unit members pay an agency fee equal to union dues, whether or not they join the union. Signing a UUP union card will not increase or change the union deduction from your paycheck.
For more information, please contact UUP at 1-800-342-4206.
Defending Our Union!Defend Our Union!
Join UUP! Sign up now!
Fact Sheet: Friedrichs v.California Teachers Association
Defend Our Union: Video
Defend Our Union: Media Coverage: Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association
Defend Our Union: Social Media resources
Why Be UUP?The Benefits of Being UUP
UUP's Negotiated Gains
UUP's Legislative Successes
Negotiated Gains for
The Truth about Friedrichs
Benefits of UUP Membership in Retirement
UUP: An Outspoken Advocate for SUNY Funding
Why Join a Union?Top 7 Reasons to Join a Union
The Union Difference: Union Advantage by the Numbers
2014 Union Statistics - Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor